Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11), a wireless technology deployed around the world to provide internet "hot-spots", is also well suited for monitoring, configuration, data acquisition, as well as time critical control applications.
The built‑in roaming functionality is useful in factory automation applications with moving devices. Implementing Wi‑Fi in these types of applications often requires tailored solutions or proprietary roaming software as well as frequency planning and specific installation techniques to achieve stabile latency and low roaming hand‑over delays.
- Range of 200 meters (up to 400‑500 meters with free line‑of‑sight) in the 2.4 GHz band and 50 meters in the 5 GHz band (with free line of sight up to 150 meters)
- Data throughput of 11 to 54 Mbit/s gross (~5 to 25 Mbit/s net) for IEEE 802.11b/g and 300 Mbit/s gross (~70 Mbit/s net for IEEE 802.11n)
- Security models like WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP and PSK EAP
- IEEE 802.11a operates on the 5 GHz band and provides the possibility for 19 additional non‑overlapping channels in addition to the three non‑overlapping channels in the 2.4 GHz band
- High availability in consumer products
Vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) wireless technology, collectively known as V2X, improves road safety, reduces traffic congestion and enhances the overall passenger experience.
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) deployed today, such as radar sensors and cameras, enable vehicles to sense obstacles in limited angle and range. V2X enables 360o awareness by messages including various information of the vehicle such as position, speed and direction. V2X operating complementary to the conventional ADAS technologies is coming to enable a new era in road safety and traffic efficiency.
- Designed to work with vehicles at a speed up to 250km/h and a 1000 meters range
- Based on 5.9 GHz Dedicated Short Range wireless Communication (DSRC), a two-way, short-range wireless communications technology
- Low latency and reliable communication
- 360-degree situational awareness
- Sophisticated Authentication for increased privacy