Location: Sgonico (Trieste) - Italy
Role also available in:
u-blox (SIX:UBXN) is a global technology leader in positioning and wireless communication in automotive, industrial, and consumer markets. Their smart and reliable solutions, services and products let people, vehicles, and machines determine their precise position and communicate wirelessly over cellular and short range networks. With a broad portfolio of chips, modules, and secure data services and connectivity, u blox is uniquely positioned to empower its customers to develop innovative and reliable solutions for the Internet of Things, quickly and cost effectively. With headquarters in Thalwil, Switzerland, the company is globally present with offices in Europe, Asia, and the USA. (www.u-blox.com)
As a talented Database Engineer you will join our multinational IT Team supporting database application integration, as well as database definition, design, structure, documentation, upgrades, long-range requirements, operational guidelines, and protection.
You will actively work by applying best practices for the improvement and maintenance of them and will provide recommendations regarding enhancements and/or improvements to database environments, leading to innovation considering also migration of data on cloud services.
You will be part of the Data Governance and Business Intelligence Team working closely together with the internal end-users as well as with the external consultants.. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, exceptional problem-solving and critical thinking skills, proactive and motivated team player with the ability to work independently and a can-do attitude: these skills will help you meet the professional challenges you will encounter.
Discover how is interesting and rewarding be working in a high-tech, innovative and multicultural environment, in which you will leverage your expertise, creativity, autonomy, and communication skills.
Your Skills and Experience
- Maintain and upgrade the current databases to patched secure versions.
- Refactor and consolidate the current databases in collaboration with the different applications owners to improve the maintenance and scalability of the data, fully considering the opportunity to migrate into Cloud services, in agreement with the IT team strategies, and ensuring full data security & compliance in cooperation with the respective team of experts
- Further development of u-blox Databases (designing, implementing, testing and documenting new solutions), eventually providing technical expertise to application development teams
- Assist in tuning complex business analytical queries and analyze and optimize Databases performance
- Managing IT service requests and incidents (new configurations, technical requests), provide 2nd and 3rd level international support for Databases services and collaborate closely with IT Applications and IT Operations teams to ensure service availability
- Collaboration with external consultants regarding configuration, customization, integration and creation and maintenance of technical documentation and support of internal customers, writing usage guides, and organizing trainings
- 5+ years experience in a Database Engineer or Database Administrator role
- In-depth knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL) and extensive experience with database technologies and architecture
- Sound knowledge of best practices in database engineering and data security
- Hands-on design, development, and delivery for Enterprise-level SQL databases (NO-SQL databases are a plus)
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux Shell scripting BASH (Microsoft PowerShell is a plus)
- Proven experience with script languages (C#, Python, XML, JSON, etc.) and advanced SQL skills required. Solid understanding of relational databases and business data; ability to write complex SQL queries against a variety of data sources
- Fluent English communication skills (written, spoken)
- Holder of a valid work permit for Italy
What are your perks?
- Bachelors degree in computer or data science, electronic engineering or equivalent education (STEM discipline)
- Strong understanding of advanced database storage concepts (data lake, relational databases, NoSQL, Graph, data warehousing)
- GitHub, Docker, Kubernetes, and/or CI deployment knowledge
- Strong knowledge of data reporting platforms like Power BI (or SSRS, SSIS)
- Solid knowledge of IT security and data protection norms
- Understanding of DevOps methodologies
Learn more about u-blox and its mission by watching this video !
- A multicultural and international company with over 50 different nationalities
- Project-based activities working with colleagues distributed across the globe.
- A start-up and innovation mindset while in the process of scaling-up processes and efficiencies
- Nice location on the Carso natural area, 20 min away from Trieste downtown
- Well-being: family environment, indoor kitchen areas, outside recreational area, yoga lessons, jogging group at lunch time, health insurance, flexible entry and lunch break time, 2% as additional contribution to pension funds
- Knowledge sharing is our philosophy
- Easy car parking inside the property and bikes and motorbikes lots
- Team parties twice a year
We see diversity as a strength and promote a culture of inclusion among our employees. Our varied backgrounds, ideas and experiences are critical to our success. We strive to become a strong learning organization and are committed to provide our employees with equal opportunities regardless of differences such as gender, race, ethnicity, generations, belief.