Location: Leuven - Belgium
Role also available in:
u-blox (SIX:UBXN) is a global technology leader in positioning and wireless communication in automotive, industrial, and consumer markets. Their smart and reliable solutions, services and products let people, vehicles, and machines determine their precise position and communicate wirelessly over cellular and short range networks. With a broad portfolio of chips, modules, and secure data services and connectivity, u blox is uniquely positioned to empower its customers to develop innovative and reliable solutions for the Internet of Things, quickly and cost effectively. With headquarters in Thalwil, Switzerland, the company is globally present with offices in Europe, Asia, and the USA. (www.u-blox.com)
U-Blox is a global fabless semiconductor and modules business operating in three key areas: GNSS positioning, short-range communications systems and cellular communications systems. We develop IP and full custom ASICs for use within a comprehensive range of chipset and module products.
We are looking for a passionate and talented Digital Design Engineer to join our IC team based in our Leuven IC design centre. The u-blox digital IC team is distributed across multiple sites in Europe and focus on Cellular and Positioning products. In Leuven, the main activities are to define and develop IP blocks as well as SoC integration. This work includes the design of custom DSP blocks, control and interface blocks, complex state machines and various chip interfaces, as well as selecting and integrating third party IP for various functions including internal processor cores, fabric and memory interfaces.
The work is varied and challenging and includes all aspects of digital design from customer requirements to support for high volume products. If you have a passion for developing cutting edge systems and are looking to work in an international team who are focused on delivering the highest quality in chip designs for the latest standards into demanding tier 1 customers, we would like to hear from you.
Your Skills and Experience
- Specification, design and integration of digital blocks and digital IC architecture with particular emphasis on low power design.
- Block, system and chip level verification of digital and mixed signal systems.
- Supporting bring-up and validation of digital systems on silicon.
- Support of digital designs through the back-end flow.
- Third party IP evaluation and selection.
- Technical reporting both written and oral.
- Education and mentoring of junior staff.
- Candidates should be degree educated in Electronics or Communications Engineering.
- Industrial experience of HDL design in ASIC/SOC environment: embedded CPU, bus-systems, peripherals, co-processors, memories, external interfaces, clock and power management, test and verification.
- Proficient in the use of industry standard languages and flows for RTL coding, functional verification, timing analysis and scripting.
- Experience in writing constraints, synthesis and DFT.
- Experience in communication systems IP design: DSP, hardware accelerators, co-processors (by preference for 4G or 5G systems).
- Experience in UVM verification environment and firmware driven verification.
- Self-motivated, flexible, individual contributor with strong problem-solving skills while also being a good team player.
- Fluent in English.
What are your perks?
- FPGA implementation / testing.
- Experience with Backend Digital flow.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python and C++.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all the requirements. We are always looking for outstanding individuals.Learn more about u-blox and its mission by watching this video
- Be part of a digital team with many varied and challenging tasks.
- A multicultural and international company with over 50 different nationalities.
- Project-based activities working with colleagues distributed across the globe.
- A start-up and innovation mindset while in the process of scaling-up processes and efficiencies.
- Nice location in Leuven: a vibrant city, home to the renowned KULeuven university and at the heart of Flanders DSP valley.
- We encourage a good work life balance.
- Hybrid working arrangements.
- 29+ days of vacation a year, employee family health insurance and additional contribution from the company to the pension fund, critical illness cover, bike to work and other benefits.
We see diversity as a strength and promote a culture of inclusion among our employees. Our varied backgrounds, ideas and experiences are critical to our success. We strive to become a strong learning organization and are committed to provide our employees with equal opportunities regardless of differences such as gender, race, ethnicity, generations, belief.