Location: Tampere - Finland
Role also available in: Athens - Greece;Thalwil - Switzerland
u-blox (SIX:UBXN) is a global technology leader in positioning and wireless communication in automotive, industrial, and consumer markets. Their smart and reliable solutions, services and products let people, vehicles, and machines determine their precise position and communicate wirelessly over cellular and short range networks. With a broad portfolio of chips, modules, and secure data services and connectivity, u blox is uniquely positioned to empower its customers to develop innovative and reliable solutions for the Internet of Things, quickly and cost effectively. With headquarters in Thalwil, Switzerland, the company is globally present with offices in Europe, Asia, and the USA. (www.u-blox.com)
As a Firmware Engineer in Embedded OS team, you will work to bring the companys in-house operating system to new generations of positioning receivers. We are a team of 6 engineers who love hacking on ARM chips at very low level. Our software boots up u-blox receivers and manages their resources. We are looking for a reinforcement, so if that sounds interesting to you, wed love to talk!
Our team designs, implements, tests, documents and provides support for the operating system. As hardware platform, we have embedded processors integrated with several RAM and ROM blocks, specialized signal processing acceleration units and other custom devices as well as standard peripheral blocks within System-on-a-Chip products.
We work closely with several engineering teams to help bring up new chips, prototype and implement features, perform all kinds of testing and to optimize every aspect of our software.
You will be part of an international multi-site team. In your daily work youll be using agile approach and the following tools to work together: Jira, Gitlab, wiki. You will mainly program in C but also will possibly use assembler for ARM (Thumb2) and C++. You will do a good deal of scripting in Perl, Python, shell (bash) and other languages like YAML and Groovy. You are able to set up and tweak Gitlab pipelines and runners, you know how to speak to Jenkins properly at least, you are strongly interested in the topic and want to be doing that in your job. You have a good general understanding of digital electronics, can read schematics and use soldering iron. Rigging up some test HW is not a challenge but rather makes you smile. You like to use on-chip debugger, oscilloscope and logic analyzer.
The position is in Tampere, Finland; Thalwil, Switzerland; or in Athens, Greece. Please state clearly in your application which location you are applying to.
There shall be occasional travel to other u-blox sites within Europe.
Your Skills and Experience
- Operating system software for new and existing platforms of u-blox positioning products: youll be designing, implementing, testing and optimizing its components.
- Software tools and other things under teams care: scripts, repositories, wiki pages, documentation, servers, credentials, equipment.
- OS quality: verifying features on new HW, ensuring test coverage, participation in chip bring up.
- Support for internal teams when it concerns OS: studies and prototyping, coordination of CI/test/verification activity.
- BSc., MSc or another degree in computer science, electrical engineering or equivalent studies
- At least 1 year of work experience with embedded systems. This is the minimum but not the maximum.
- Development in at least 3 of the following areas
- Device drivers
- OS kernel (e.g., Linux)
- Board support package
- Any kind of software library
- Low-level software for ARM Cortex-M
- Data security features (e.g., secure boot)
- Solid usage of git, bash, make and Python or Perl
- Knowledge of digital electronics and experience with lab equipment
- Knowledge of computer architecture in general, as well as of widely used embedded peripheral interfaces, such as UART, SPI, I2C
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience with or strong interest in CI and HW test automation
Learn more about u-blox and its mission by watching this video !We see diversity as a strength and promote a culture of inclusion among our employees. Our varied backgrounds, ideas and experiences are critical to our success. We strive to become a strong learning organisation and are committed to provide our employees with equal opportunities regardless of differences such as gender, race, ethnicity, generations, belief.
- A multicultural and international company with over 50 different nationalities
- Project-based activities working with colleagues distributed across the globe.
- A start-up and innovation mindset while in the process of scaling-up processes and efficiencies
- Up to 40% remote work & flexible working hours
- Training and career growth opportunities
- Company Bonus and Stock Option Plan
- Easy access location in Perkkaa, Espoo and Hervanta, Tampere
- Modern office premises
- Good basic benefits (commuting, lunch, sports&culture etc.)
- Sport activities, Team events