Stand-alone Bluetooth Smart Ready module
The powerful stand-alone Bluetooth module OBS421 is a dual-mode (Bluetooth Smart Ready) module complete with embedded Bluetooth stack and serial port application. The OBS421 features a UART interface for transparent serial data transmissions. It can be used as a Bluetooth Smart Ready client for any host and it can access any Bluetooth Smart device that implements services based on the Generic Attribute Profile(GATT), such as a low energy battery service or an automation I/O service.
The OBS421 can also be used in applications where a smartphone, tablet or laptop is to connect to a serial device such as a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).
Customers may embed their own applications, eliminating the need of an external application processor, thus saving considerably on the bill of material and PCB space. The middleware with easy-to-use interfaces speeds up and simplifies application development. Customer developed applications can make use of the additional module interfaces, such as GPIO, SPI, I2C, JTAG, and UART / USART and analog inputs.
The module is fully Bluetooth qualified and provides modular radio type approvals for the US, Europe, Japan and Canada (FCC, R&TTE, MIC, IC). The OBS421 is also compliant with EMC, Safety and Medical standards.
The robust module is easily configured via AT commands as well as cover a range of 300 meters, throughput up to 1.3 Mbps and operating temperatures of –30°C to +85° C.
- Bluetooth v4.0 with Bluetooth low energy and Classic Bluetooth (Bluetooth Smart Ready)
- Embedded stack (SPP, DUN, PAN, GATT)
- Cortex M3 MCU for customer developed applications
- u-blox Low Energy Serial Port Service
- High throughput of 1.3 Mbps
- Advanced multipoint capability with 7 slaves
- Apple iOS and Google Android connectivity
Click here for high resolution image.
* All current OBS421 module versions support Apple iOS connections via Bluetooth low energy. Classic Bluetooth connections are supported only by OBS421 versions with iAP support, but other special requirements also apply, see http://tinyurl.com/ndk6vj2.
1 Not applicable when used with customer developed application
- OBS421 product summary
For advance information, please contact u-blox.
- Additional documents & downloads
- View the Getting Started tutorial video that shows a u-blox Bluetooth module using a Starter Kit & Configuration PC-program.
- View the Bluetooth low energy demo video that shows the use of the u-blox Low Energy Serial Port Service in an industrial setting with a robot, a computer, an iPhone and the modules OLS425, OBS421, and OLP425.